LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

Nepal: Evening below Annapurna.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

In the Company of Giants.

I would like to ask that you read this piece, not for Jen and me but rather, for some exceptional people.


I headed out early for Mount Woodson, ahead of the traffic, that is, hiking traffic, heat and unfortunately,
before clouds formed. Lately, we’ve have been in the company or near-company of giants. No. Not the redwoods,
sequoias, football players, boxers, clergy and many others but rather, true heroes. There’s a song with a nice
beat called ‘Looking for love in all the wrong places’ or in fact, it may only be a line of the lyrics. Whatever
the case, it is a very useful thought. Perhaps if we changed the subject and made it ‘looking for a hero or role
model’ in all the wrong places it would resonate well in the modern world. For a reason I have never been able
to fathom, people look to sportsmen, actors and actresses (huh?), politicians, you name it, as heroes. Why?
There are obviously reasons for this but that’s not the purpose of this short essay. I have only had one hero
and he died in 1991. He was my Dad.




A 'crocodile' in Inyo National Forest'




"Over the edge'. At times like this, the husband closes his eyes and wonders about life and responsibility.



I’ve also looked in all the wrong places. I realized that when in the company of our cousin Basil Cohen,
Paul S, Ivan S, Lionel G, Neil R, Debbie G and others, we were with true heroes, role models. Unfortunately,
these friends and family are suffering various hardships, all related to illness. Yet, when in their company
or in communication with them, one feels humbled, in awe even insignificant and helpless. In addition, their
spouses set standards that too make one feel quite small. Yes. I have found role models but unfortunately,
they are paying an enormous price.


I set off on this hike on my own as Jenni is again suffering knee problems. Fortunately, she is in the care
of Dr. Norman K. who in my humble but biased opinion, is the best hip surgeon west of the Mississippi. What goes
through the mind when hiking the fairly tough Woodson climb of about 2,400 feet and nearly 8 miles return?
One thing occurred today, which usually drives our editor a little crazy. She calls it being competitive—it’s
an opinion, I suppose. I had in mind my heroes listed above. I undertook that no one, young or not so young,
was going to pass me as I moved up that mountain at a fast pace. For the record, I took sixty-five minutes
in hot conditions.



In earlier years, this was considered showing off. Modern thinking is that he is working
on his self-esteem'.




One of the few pictures at Woodson without clouds this hiking period. (Sep. 14th)


After passing a couple, I noticed two males were closing the gap between us. I kept the pace while thinking
of one of my favorite movies, ‘Chariots of Fire’. Besides the inspiring story and music, I’ve never forgotten
the words of the coach to his protégé, something to the order of, “It is good to win from behind but a real winner,
wins from the front”. I had that thought in mind as the two younger men approached and then sat ‘on my tail’.
I moved across to show them courtesy but that was all. There was no way they were going to pass me. You see what
they did not know was that I undertook unilaterally that for Basil, Paul, Ivan, Neil and Debbie, no one was going
to pass me. No one! And so I pushed and increased the pace and wore them down. I also did not allow them to see
the odd tear that rolled down my cheek while thinking of the ‘gang'.




Without Jenni, I searched for a new 'bird' at 6am Sunday morning at Woodson.




Coming down through the channel at Cathedral Rock, Sedona.




Lake Poway, the base of Woodson, one of its hills.


When I reached the summit, I took in the sights and thought about my heroes. It is at this stage I would like
to appeal to one and all to think about them and all others of goodwill. Perhaps with the energy, a miracle
from above or from some other force, the tide will turn for people who are suffering. We all need help but
they deserve at least, a break. I strongly believe that the G-d above looks into all human hearts and heads,
caring little about the various religions. May He shine His light on all good people everywhere—it seems to
have dimmed a little, recently.



Returning from the end, above the Tugela Falls, the world's second highest.




Head in the clouds on Mont-aux-Sources.


Cheers,

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: