LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

'Nothing's quite as pretty as Mary in the morning' & Iron Mountain in the evening.



A view from the summit of Iron Mountain, Poway.



I headed out to Atlanta on business or to express it another way, was summoned by the boss. It's an awful long way to travel to talk to Barry and only for one day. However, it could be worse--I could be here talking to him for two days or more. What a waste of mountain time. I'm already missing my baby, not meaning Ellie or Benny. (Barry is a nice guy, though.)

I arrived at the hotel in Buckhead after investing in a taxi company. At least it felt that way after settling the tariff. The driver was from Eritrea. There are a lot of Africans in America these days. It was only last week the manager of a lube station in Carmel Valley revealed himself as an Ethiopian. It's good to meet our African brothers and dare I say, sisters, too. However, it seems the most we have in common is living in the United States.




Another 'bloody' sunset...easy does it, sun...um...Son.





Early part of sunset with Mount Woodson on the flank.



Anyway, after arriving at the front desk, I noticed the receptionist, to put it as at tactfully as possible, was rather buxom. Furthermore, she was struggling to read my identity card (driver's licence) as well as the information on computer screen. One thing led another and she said that she does not see too well from close up. That happens to all of us eventually. However, when I made the obvious suggestion she retorted, "There's no chance of me wearing glasses." I wondered if this is an Atlanta syndrome or a plain vanity issue with the woman.



Going...going.


Later, I went in search of a Diet Coke. The vending machine only displayed regular Coke available. Atlanta, being the home of the Coca Cola Company, it rather surprised me. I mentioned this to the receptionist wondering if on the other floors the variety might differ. She said she had not noticed this little snippet of information and once again said, "There's no chance I would drink Diet Coke." The results showed clearly. I also realized I was dealing with a highly principled person.




A typical boulder-covered scene in the county with the sun providing contrasts.



I arrived in the room to find a micro-wave oven and refrigerator. I was quite excited to see them because on the road, Jenni uses the micro to cook scrumptious meals and I usually pull a Coke from the fridge. So I called our editor who I hoped was preparing for Hike-about 21 while I was steeling myself to meet with Barry. I asked her what buttons I needed to press to get a vege-burger and fries. I hate it when she gets complicated and mentioned that I first had to put the food into the unit. What's the point of the micro then?








A little wild...a lot wonderful.




After arriving back in San Diego, doing some work, it was time to view a sunset from the peak of Iron Mountain. The trail was rather busy and we used the opportunity to enter a few mountain races. On the summit, we saw something different from anything witnessed before. I wish it had been the scenery. Instead, a hippie, covered in tattoos, long dreadlocks and quite a sweet face asked if I would mind if he had a toke while at the peak. I don’t know what surprised me more—weed on this great, little mountain or the fact that he asked. Obviously, the mountain was not high enough for him.


Cheers,

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: