LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

New Zealand: Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Ngauruhoe Volcano ("Mt. Doom"), a perfect sunrise.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

38.05: South Africa: Exhilaration, thrills and no spills (phew) on and at the 'Berg'—a brief selection.


During 2005, Jen thought fit to insult me, not with malice though, just a good-hearted put down. Some thirteen years later, I obviously have not forgotten it—not that I bear any grudges. Insults can be character building...hmm...or perhaps, destroying...(continues at end).


Jen would not let me have the upper-bunk so I had a tantrum at Meandering Hut instead. Can't say it was satisfying.




Jen goes rock climbing at Mount Everest game farm. (Between you and me, so proud of her.)




Stunning replica of an eagle at Eagle Mountain. Is there a way up?




Apparently so. The 'eagle has landed'.




'Razor Edge' at Vergezient, Drakensberg Retreat.




A strenuous climb mainly because of the terrain, positioned below Mount Horeb, Clarens.




A glorious position above the Tugela Falls. (The white hat, at least, thinks so as it's tied to a chin.) When looking to the right, the sights are breathtaking. Actually, wherever one gazes, it's a treat and privilege.




I think I'm taller on my right side following that stretch.




A different perspective at the Sentinel, taken right above the vertical wall (first set of chain ladders).



Platberg, Harrismith. We've been eyeing this mountain each time we travel through the town. Today we reached
the amazing, flat summit, although this picture is only part-way up. (Real men stand on rocks of this nature.)





Scrambling in Witsieshoek. The chalets and bungalows are below on the right. The road winding to the left, further up, is arguably one of the 'worst in the world'.



I can't recall a more stunning place to reach, steep but over a relatively short distance.




Jen takes 'a leap of faith' below the Eagle.




The 'real men stand' insult had to be countered so he ran back to do it.



There we stood on Cathedral Rock in Sedona, Arizona, heading up toward the top, still a long way to go. We sat for a while on a rock which gave us an unhindered view downwards. It makes a difference to the 'fear-level' because there was nothing in front of us but air. After a while, I began to get dizzy, my mind started talking negatively with the result I became a little overwhelmed. It felt like I might fall off the rock, a drop of a few hundred feet. It seems when one stares from height towards the ground, it's as if a force is compelling one to jump—and that's not only gravity at the helm. I did not mention earlier I considered myself weary of heights although not a person with a phobia for such fears.

It got to me. I stood, told Jenni rather forcefully, “I’m outta here”, and moved down as fast as I felt I could. She followed on my heels. However, she passed a comment that we both remember only too well.

You’re a ‘wuss’," she said. (Basically, a pipsqueak or baby or worse.)

“So be it,” I answered, “I don’t need to feel frightened when I’m supposed to be enjoying myself.”

After making my way down for a while, still closely followed by ‘the shadow’, I decided to turn the tables and reverse course, taking her up a steeper section. A challenge had been issued or a dare arose from within. We arrived at the top in good time, if not quicker than average. Along the way, I kept hearing this voice beckoning, 'Slow down, wait for me.’ I was having nothing of it until I reached the destination.

I’m pleased
to write that since then, I have trained myself to take on more-and-more high place challenges. Of course, there are situations that scare (terrify) me, but most pinnacles are within my comfort zone. I look forward to attaining height these days. Indirectly, I have Jenni to thank for motivating me to overcome that fear. I only hope she will help me with numerous others of my non-exhaustive list.


Glorious Giants Castle, 'climbing the wall'.



Cheers,

Jenni and Jeffrey

1 comment:

Doug Morton said...

Greetings, Jeffrey and Jenni. The Drakensberg is spectacular every day of the year, and you've done it complete justice. Mt Everest is a grand spot, and we were lucky enough to spend several days in the Arendskop (Eagle's Head) chalet just below the peak you featured. Our son and daughter-in-law did the scramble to the top while I went the other way in search of birds. Platberg near Harrismith was for several years the scene of a trail race from the town to the top and back down again. Some of the runners I know say it's probably the toughest run they've done. The Free State is maligned as boring and flat, but is wonderful countryside, as you've seen. Loved this blog. Doug.