LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

Nepal: Evening below Annapurna.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Friday, June 28, 2019

41.07 Utah: Introductory Highlights from Provo and some color in the south.



Cottonwood Canyon, one warm day.




Jenni stands on Molly's Nipple (it is what it is), in Hurricane, a very steep and risky climb and much worse back down.




Squaw Peak, Provo: an incredible hike and climb with Mount Nebo behind.




Detour while seeking Molly's Nipple, in Hurricane, a tough and risky hike.




We found a lovely spot with a view over Provo and of Lake Utah while climbing past the "Y" to the tough peak. Jen rested on the rock.




Pretty as a Picture, another favorite above St. George.




See note below of this most exciting free rock climb, ascent from side in view. On the way down from "Y" Peak, we stop for some excitement.




It's hard to resist rock climbing opportunities such as this one. At first glance, it looked possible to scale quite easily. Second glance was a different matter and I struggled to find a route up. There appeared little place for purchase. Eventually, I found an opening in a rock which I could use to grip with a hand, thus aiding my feet on the climb. I made it to the top but then realized returning is always more difficult than ascending. A little late you might think. The foot and hand protrusions, if any, might prove difficult to find. The following conversation then took place while I had this dilemma.

"Jen? I don't know whether I will be able to climb down." No reply. "Why did you let me climb up here?"

"You're a big boy. It was your decision." Good answer.

"I need you to help me down, please."

"Of course. What do you want me to do?"

"I don't know." Nothing like a person with purpose and resolve. I proceeded to descend, getting my foot stuck in a narrow crevice. After clearing it, I continued searching for holds while Jen mentioned a piece of rock I should strive to reach with a stretched leg. By that stage, I felt an inch or two longer in the leg. Unbeknown to most if not all, I live with an imagination in my own little world--quite intimidating at times. After returning to ground, I told this secret of me and my imagination to Jenni.

"Surprise!. You think I don't know that?" Big surprise indeed.

Earlier, my imagination had begun conjuring its own 'Hillary Step' (The Everest Hillary) and this became my game and search for a handhold and foot purchase that would bring me back to safety. It worked and of course, between Jen and me, we'll always refer to that and other similar challenges by using the expression.

Fortunately,
Jenni has softened somewhat, mentally, that is...I mean she's more relaxed these days. (Watch it, Jeffrey). In earlier periods, before going rock-climbing, she would always ask for the car keys, my wallet and when she was really acting tough, a note to the kids. Life has not been easy!



Telephoto from Squaw Peak highlights the impressive Provo Temple and its immaculate grounds.




Taking in the view below Turtlehead, on the way up, in Red Rock Park, Nevada.



Cheers,

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: