LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

Tenerife, Spain: Looking back to check that our car is safe.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Goodbye, Mom. Why did you leave us?

Paying tribute to one’s mother in public is a little embarrassing. Nevertheless, the one forum for which I have access is Jenni’s blog.

December 7th, 2021. Age 93. Bless you! Lilian Ruth Lazarow, a mere 3 months before.

Lilian Ruth nee Ludman was to the world an ordinary woman. I have no argument with that. I, her son, am an ordinary man, too. However, to me, she was a very special woman. Frankly, that’s the only thing important to me and the only aspect that counted. She had qualities that remained hidden to most people and only a few that she should have hidden. I will not recount our relationship. However, I should add she was caring without being emotional, guiding without demanding, loving but not demonstrative. I’ll quit at this juncture but not before mentioning a brief incident that occurred the day after she left us.

 I communicated with a dear friend of ours in South Africa about the sad news. Colyn Levin then sent me an email of sympathy followed by another an hour later. A little history: Mom was a golfer for many years. She rose to become the club captain. When she retired, in recognition of her many contributions to the club, she was awarded honorary life membership of the club. 

Back to Colyn who passed this message onto Jen and me. The Club’s flag will be flying at half-mast in honor of Ruth.

 My first thought when I read the tribute was to think: If I had one wish it would not be for me to see her again but rather, that she could have a few more seconds on Earth to catch a glimpse of that flag.

 My Dad and I were golfers at the club. Had they flown a flag at half-mast for me, it would be apt for some of the terrible games I had played on those links. 

Rest in Peace, Mom, you deserve it. 

Humbly, yours.



Speaks for itself.

No comments: