LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

Tenerife, Spain: Looking back to check that our car is safe.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Monday, November 14, 2022

56.02 Nevada: Calico Basin and Heights, Pedicures and Ian Smith. Huh!

We learned a lesson from former Rhodesian prime minister, Ian Smith, when he declared: 'Majority rule, never in my lifetime.' This reminded me of a recent event following surgery. (See text at end.)

There are many ways to view the world.
A while ago, we realized that we may not like the city of Las Vegas, but we love the surrounding desert.
Rock formations abound.
This region is an older kid's paradise.
In the background, appearing rather low and docile, is Turtlehead, a tough climb.
While a rather simple hurdle, my first use of the new hip in such a situation, 7-weeks post-surgery. It provided a satisfying feeling.
Jennifer assumes the role of 'show-off' with confidence.
Testing the mettle...um new metal in the body.
For my next trick, I intend to scale the vertical wall...well, one can dream.
Mismatch of colors which is unusual for Jenni.
Las Vegas beauty which in this case is not an oxymoron.
The sun hits the jackpot...well, the spot, Jack. 
 Sheltering from the wind for brunch.

Tip-Toe, Twinkle Toes. 

  I learned a long time ago to not use the word ‘never’ without considerable deliberation. Over the decades, I’ve observed too many people having to swallow their words, including myself. The problem with swallowing words is that they are not digestible and so they remain with a person thereafter—often a reminder of what a hypocrite, fool or dodo a person is. 

  Before today, I would have been comfortable and certain stating that I would never go for a pedicure, never mind a manicure. In fact, I probably said it many times over the ages. At the ripe-old age of seventy, (Jen do you smell something off?), I realized even more about the wisdom, caring natures and beauty of women. They really are able, much of the time, to keep males in check as well as encourage them to realize their potential. A few years ago, this would have been an easy topic to write about but in the current generation of confusion, it has an additional twist, although not for me. 

  When a Supreme Court justice cannot define a woman, one may deduce we have entered a dark age. Nevertheless, that's besides the point because it matters, not who or what you are, but rather, how you behave. Okay, now that I’m past the introduction, let’s move onto the essence of this note. 

  “Your feet are horrible,” my charming wife exclaimed. “In fact, they are disgusting—they also represent a health hazard.”

  I was rather taken aback. I have never held out that my feet are particularly special, but they get the job done. Should she have said something about my hips, I would have had more sympathy for her feelings. Both hips or parts thereof, have been returned to my maker or should that be manufacturer.

  “Well,” I began, knowing I would need to tread carefully because of the delicate situation as well as the fact I had recently been classified as a 'moving health-hazard'.

  “The way I see it is that because I have been unable to reach my toes because of the recent surgery, I have neglected my feet, especially the toenails. Anyway, you did file them down recently.”

  “But what about the dry skin, the places I could not reach and the callouses that almost cover the big toes? How come you did not take care of all of that when we returned from Europe?”

  “If you remember, you are my nurse and you undertook to take care of me. You wash my feet in the shower each night which is sheer bliss. However, when I asked you to cut my nails, you declined on principle. And when you tried to slice off the callouses, you burst into tears because you could not bear to hurt your big bear of a man." (Thought I’d throw that in to be a little macho). 

  “I have asked you a few times to visit the place across the road for a pedicure,” Jenni retorted.

  “You know that in 70 years, I’ve never undertaken such a task and hope not to visit such a place in the next seventy either.”

  After some discussion and a critical appreciation (depreciation) of my neglected feet, gazing into those beautiful, pleading eyes, totally seduced by this gorgeous woman and realizing she stood on the high-ground and was correct, I took myself to meet a new woman in my life. What an experience. An Asian-American and an African-American meet in America to repair a critical foundation.

  What a charming, elderly woman who covered many subjects of discussion while performing the odd scrape, cut, file, wash, cleaning, etcetera, of my feet. After viewing the completed results, I’ve decided to walk around barefoot in order to show off my rejuvenated feet. I can imagine people whispering: ‘Look at that old body and face with such gorgeous, young feet.’ What a waste! What a feat!

  What really 'annoyed and irritated' me is why Jenni had to wait until I reached old age to send me for this wonderful procedure. Had she not been so neglectful, I could have enjoyed these experiences over the years.

  It's such a pleasure to be able to walk around barefoot these days instead of being told to wear socks when you enter the home.

I'd like to believe I'm back after three hours on a testing trail. A deep feeling of gratitude to Dr. Yashar and his team!!!
Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: