LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

New Zealand: Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Ngauruhoe Volcano ("Mt. Doom"), a perfect sunrise.

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Sunday, January 3, 2021

San Diego: A Formal Apology: Plus: Cowles Mountain via Big Rock...pretty steep and pretty, a couple of walks to the coast. North & South Fortuna Peaks.

Each walk presents new pleasures and some sweat.
I have always understood there to be a balance in the world although from time to time, it appears the world can remain out of sync for periods exceeding one’s expectations. Many believe there is a God who keeps us in check although allows plenty of leeway. Others talk of a Force which may in fact be God. Some don’t believe in a deity and may have different understandings while, judging from history, a few too many in fact believe themselves to be a messiah. Whatever the case, a very complex subject indeed, I’ve just skirted over it by way of an introduction. I will add that the balance, or return to equilibrium, may take decades to play out but somehow it always does. Expressed more succinctly, the actions one takes throughout life result in consequences in the future. This could be almost immediate or as suggested, years down the track. For every action there is a consequence. Continues at end... 

 
Downtown San Diego from Cowles Peak.

A struggle up a steep grade.

Jen sits on the peak of North Fortuna. Cowles Peak is prominent in the background.

Murray Lake from the peak.

El Cajon Mountain, San Diego's toughest.

An idea of the mountainous East County of San Diego plus the 'mountain patrol helicopter stationary in the air'.

Same coastline as the opening photo, different day, different position.

Looks like the arrival of a ship in San Diego harbor.


Strangely, this note including the unusual opening, is by way of an apology for something that occurred on a hike to reach two peaks in East County, San Diego. Inappropriately, it took place early in the new year, the first morning of 2021, not a great commencement. When I apologized to Jenni for my behavior, she accepted it subject to a formal written and unfortunately, published note. Well, perhaps a little rough and tough, but here goes: 

  We set out to reach South and North Fortuna peaks in the Mission Trails Regional park, an extensive system of trails in a large undeveloped area. Wonderful actually. By way of further introduction, I should add that my trail directions have improved considerably over the years so much so that Jenni actually trusts me…I think. We passed a sign that Jenni read in a way that differed from my understanding. I explained to her that she had to be more diligent in her approach. I thought I was imparting valuable knowledge while she informed me later, I was lecturing. That’s her usual way of having a ‘full-go’ at me. Of course, I display much humility in my approach, but she does not see it that way. When we passed a second sign, it too was confusing, but I was able to interpret it correctly. At the time I was hoping she was enormously impressed. I was feeling rather smart and guessing she felt she was in the company of a human compass. Not wishing to belabor the point, I kept the so-called lecture down to a few minutes only although the material available could have extended it. 

  We continued up some steep parts and I was a little ahead when we arrived at a sign which was clear. It stated that we were on the South Fortuna Peak trail with an arrow directing us ahead. In smaller print below, it also stated that the peak was 50 feet to the left. Of course, I saw the peak next to me, but I recall reading before the hike of there being a false peak. I mentioned to Jen we should keep going forward as the second peak, the genuine one, was below, (which was a little odd). We continued after Jen questioned my judgment, but only lightly. Off we went and we reached a lower peak and thereafter, one even further below. 

  I began to question my judgment and realized we had passed the peak half-mile back. I also understood that I was destined to be dropped into a hole because I had set myself up for a fall. Furthermore, no matter what the sign had read, and when we returned to it, it was clear—that was the peak—I had to interpret it incorrectly. In order to establish balance in my world, I was doomed to make an error for the Force needed to teach me a lesson. It had to humble me before my beloved. My so-called over-confidence in interpreting signage earlier on the hike, notwithstanding what the sign read, meant that the Force would ensure I would earn my comeuppence on that day and not a moment later.

  It is with great humility that I offer my once proud knowledge of trail directions to Jenni on a burnt plate of entrails. 

Signed and published on this the 3rd day of January, 2021 before at least two witnesses (hopefully). 

Jeffrey C Lazarow 


Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

3 comments:

Suzy O’Leary said...

J & J : From this humble (& Some say sheltered)) experience, there seems to be 1, only one “perfect”. .... In this, my World, the “perfect” is called “karma”. thank you for including me in your inspiring posts of your adventures. May you both be blessed with good health, good experience, and good karma : )))))

Jeffrey said...

Dear Claudia,

You have a way with words and we are fortunate to read them. Thank you indeed. Your wishes, which are returned, are beautifully expressed. Have you run up Mount Humphreys yet, snow and all? Best wishes, Lazarow's

Suzy O’Leary said...

Hello J and J. - I’ve been at the top of snowbowl (Mt Humohreys) in both Winter & Spring. Hmmmm. Thinking Spring via 🚠 (gondola). Be well : )