LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Grizzly Neurosis.

As we crossed into Idaho from Utah, I felt my my blood pressure rise.

You see, I have been driving myself completely crazy over those big furry creatures called bears - and in particular, "The Grizzly" found in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, just to name 3 of the places on our itinery.

It was sometime last year that Jeff and I decided that we wanted to visit The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. I read up a little on those places, learned about the bears, and quietly shelved the idea for a few years hence. So imagine my 'surprise' when we were looking for a route from San Diego up to Washington, that Idaho, Wyoming and Montana popped up in our planning.

I was not against this route at all. In fact I had only heard amazing things about all three states. I just tried to remind myself that a couple of million people visit these parks each year and there are very few incidents of dangerous bear encounters.

In fact, last year Jeff and I came upon a black bear in Sequoia and the first thing I did, was haul out my camera to take its picture. It was a black bear. There is a huge difference between those and a 'grizzly'.

Anyway, as soon as we decided upon our route, I began my study of bears and their habits. The do's and the don'ts. There were so many facts to consider. The time of one's hike, the season, and the knowledge of the area 's flora and knowing which in which area the berry bushes are flowering. I had this internal feeling of worry each time I learnt a little more.

I began searching around San Diego for a small tin of wasp spray, which I had read, was as good or even better than pepper spray. Sadly, the only size tin I could find was huge. I had to figure a way of carrying this big tin of wasp spray on my person. After all what good would it do if it was in my backpack and I was confronted by a bear. Kind of reminds me about my snake guards being in our trunk when we came upon the rattler a few days ago.

Many sleepless nights, numerous bear dreams and, I hate to even say this, seeing tiny bear ornaments on gas store shelves, made me sweat. I felt myself becomming obsessed with bears. and I was not proud.

We did two hikes in the beautiful Grand Teton Mountain Range. The first was to Jenny Lake and beyond. Us and a couple of hundred other visitors to the park - young and old. Here I was, decked out with my bear repellant in its holder hanging from my belt and my eyes flickering around at every corner on the alert. We came upon only one other couple who were as prepared as me. They had bells jingling from their backpacks. I did feel a kinship at that moment and we stopped, chatted and swopped 'bear' stories.

However, I soon realized that the trail was so busy that no bear would even consider coming close. Jeff was unhappy and would have liked to have hiked off the trail - but for me, I was only too thankful for the crowds. After a short while of being bogged down by my giant tin of wasp spray, I relegated it to my backpack, relaxed and enjoyed the 8 mike trek immensely.

Our second hike was to Taggart and Bradley Lakes and beyond. Not as many people, which was lovely. We did venture into some pretty deep forests. I do admit to having my "bear spray" on hand - but I was much more relaxed than the day before. Here's hoping for many more "bare" trails.

- The Editor

No comments: