LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Thursday, March 11, 2021

48.17 Page, Arizona: Paddling on Lake Powell to reach Antelope Point, (not Antelope Canyon)...to hike in a slot...

When we come across beauty in the wilderness, it feels like a reward. When we focus on the source of such beauty, we obtain a better understanding of where we live and that such beauty is a mere tease of what actually exists. 


To begin, you paddle your kayak on the lake which looks like a river.
You reach terra firma, beach the boat and walk in the slot canyon. By that stage, you have cake...well, caked in mud.
Depending on your risk profile, you can hike to the end but not before undertaking some bouldering.
Reward.
More reward.
At this stage, you may sing "I'm in Heaven"...provided you don't have a voice like Jeffrey's...better to hum, they demand.
You then struggle to re-launch the kayak, accumulate more cake (mud) (heck, we're getting old) and paddle back to the beginning.

And you want to know what real success is despite the incredible outing and beauty witnessed...that a couple can still talk to each other after paddling in sort of unison for more than a couple of hours.


The text that follows does not relate to the wilderness, mountain climbing or hiking. Nevertheless, from time-to-time, a person desires to commit some thoughts to paper or in this case, the cloud. I suppose it could be said writing is often about placing one’s head in the clouds—and that’s a wonderful idea, too. I wish I’d thought of it. But you did. Then brilliant! 

When Jen and I paddled a kayak to Antelope Point the other day, it brought back memories of two wonderful men I met many years ago. Brian Longley was the captain of our high school swim team when I entered Highlands North at 12 years old. Fast forward another twelve years and I reconnected with Brian at my first real job, Barclays Industrial Finance, part of the Barclays Bank group. Turns out he was still my senior. Nothing changed. 

I was also fortunate to meet John Greenfield, an Englishman living in South Africa...continues below. 

 A further selection of photographs from an interesting day:

'Is there a way through? Hmm! One bagel too many for breakfast.'
Feeling for my wallet and finding it's wet. 
 The long and winding road.
Think he saw a ghost.

The favorite.
Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey


 I worked alongside John who was very knowledgeable in mathematics, inter alia. He was also a first league squash player, which for those not familiar with squash, is considered top-class in that sport. You should know Brian and John became very good friends and both spent much time rowing and kayaking seriously in their latter years. The tragedy is that Brian died a few years back and John followed last year. It was a stunning loss to the world. Maria Longley and Sue Greenfield survived their husbands. Jen and I were most fortunate to socialize with both women during our Barclays days. 

  A quick story about each that still hangs around in my memory. John often sat at my desk during lunch periods. One afternoon, we were discussing squash and in particular, his games with Brian. Brian was an avid sportsman, strong both in body and mind. However, in squash and against John, it was no contest. Anyway, he explained to me that when he played against Brian, he would decide whether to allow him to score a point. Should he think Brian did not deserve it, then Brian would end up with zero points. John told me this in an earnest manner with not an ounce of boastfulness. At first, I was taken aback because I knew John to be a modest person with many talents. Then he explained further what he meant, and I understood immediately. He was stating a fact, not boosting himself. Should John wish to dominate the game, he was that good that a hard-running opponent like Brian would not succeed in attaining even 1 point. I still see the expression on his serious face while his eyes sparkled. I treasure it. 

  One Saturday night, the Barclays crowd was dining at Viv Bartlett’s house. We also worked with Viv who went onto become Chief Executive of the entire Barclays group. Of course, I moved onto become…ahem…let me get back to you on that. Okay, I’m back. Brian and I were conversing. Another thing about Mr. Longley is that he did not suffer fools. The wind was gusting that summer night and I made a comment about it. He asked me whether I understood how wind arose and proceeded to explain to a somewhat ignorant boy. He said that when it gets very hot, the air rises and so fresh air moves in to fill the void, this movement causing wind. I absorbed it and retorted, “It makes me think that it would have been awfully hot at Viv’s neighbor’s house earlier today.” 

  You might imagine what Brian wanted to do with either of his fists. I will concede that a wry smile creased his face, a unique expression of his, and some unsaid words passed through the brain. It was the smile that let me know I was 'off the hook'. 

  While I’m on the subject of Barclays, I was also fortunate to meet Brain Murray, now a good friend, highly talented musician, excellent sportsman, to mention a couple of his attributes. After I left Barclays at the end of 1979, we all went in different directions. I’ve never been good with directions, so I got lost and found myself in Texas in 1989. Fast forward again to San Diego in about 2002, Passover. I was sitting in synagogue with our son Gavin, and I looked up to see Brian Murray walk into shul. I had not seen Brian in 22 years and at that time, Brian did not frequent shuls. It was a moment of extreme coincidence, one I will never forget. I hope Brian feels that way, too, as he has a special place in our lives. Some even say that I’m a 'better musician' than Brian. 

 I miss Johan Meiring who is not in good health. Johan was the smartest, most practical attorney with whom I ever worked. He taught me much about commercial law. Finally, I cannot omit the late Peter Springett, chief executive. He employed me and I learned a lot from this tough, fair and decent man.

 Heck, I miss all these guys, what a great bunch. At my interview, Mr. Springett, a straight-shooter if ever there was one, (I appreciate that characteristic), made the following statement. 

 “Jeffrey,” he began, “There are 25,000 employees in the bank, and you’ll be the only Jew. Are you going to be able to work with all the gentiles?” You have to love the way he expressed it. I can’t remember what I replied but I don’t think I said, ‘I’ll try not discriminate against them.’ I was twenty-four at the time so I suppose the odds were in my favor. 

  There was a song in our day “Those were the Days.” They were indeed. I miss you fellas, your humor, your attitude and the lessons you taught me—I’m most fortunate. Luckily, Brian Murray is around and based in San Diego these days. 

  Jen and I had a wonderful day kayaking on Lake Powell and then hiking further into the canyon when we hit land. Much of the time, I thought of the Barclays Boys and more specifically, of two real men, Brian Longley and John Greenfield. R.I.P.

No comments: