LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

50.29: Utah: Grandeur Peak-Western approach, 'man-o-man', what a climb.

We interspersed a few photographs from the eastern side ascent to illustrate the contrast that 5-6 weeks of colder weather created. It was expected but still dramatic as we reached the peak and absorbed relatively drab sights compared with the previous occasion which commenced at Mill Creek Canyon. One destination, two completely different hikes. 

After an hour, we can see the destination to the right in the distance.
Jen crests the initial steep climb, one continuous ascent. There was never a level section.
Keep on trucking. Peak is way up and to the right. One  of us struggles, in the middle of the picture.

On our 64th day in Utah, 61st in the Greater Salt Lake City district, we planned a hike to Grandeur Peak. We reached the peak 6 weeks before but from the eastern side, via Mill Creek Canyon. At the time, we did not realize it was the easier trail. On this occasion, we began from the western trailhead. Once again, the only commonality of the experiences is when one reaches the peak, a rather small area. What it lacks in space, it makes up in a ridiculous level of elevation gain, particularly from the western side. (Continues below...)  

A current view from the peak. Compare the structure with that below. (Undressed)
A few views from the peak, taken 5-6 weeks before. This photograph compares with above although a little below the peak. (Dressed) 
Facing the false peak coming from the east. (Go West, young man!)
Most of today's enjoyable views focused on the western side, the city with the foreground containing wilderness.
One of the day's more attractive views.



 The length of the hike is 4.4 miles which is rather short. The climb, elevation gain, amounts to 3,240 feet within 2.2 miles, an average adjusted elevation gain per mile of 1,440 feet along the first part and nearly 1,750 feet per mile for the latter 0.9 mile. I think what we are stating is that the climb is steep and considered, along with Mount Olympus, the ‘go-to hike’ of the region. Okay, now that the boasting is complete (maybe), let’s get on with something of general interest. 

The statistics were written with Barry Jahn of Oregon, in mind. While Barry is the least of a show-off, next week he’ll probably climb something of the order of 4,500 feet, maybe more, before breakfast. 
 
Two similar elevation gains we can recall were in the Dolomites of Italy and Pyramid Peak in the Tahoe region. When climbing something of this order, I often reflect on previous experiences and with respect to people who, in their field, are what I term leaders. A leader to me is someone who guides a person but performs the function personally—leads by example. A leader has accomplished the challenge. 

Today, I thought of three guys, all unique men. The first was the late Mannie Edelstein. One never thinks of Mannie without casting one’s mind to Gail. They are a team (still) and both are extremely positive and motivating people. The other two members I mentioned once before when we hiked to the peak of South Sister (“Charity”) in Oregon.  

Paul Shtein and Lionel Greenberg are the other two leaders I follow. Paul lives in San Diego with his wife, Debbie, and Lionel is currently in Johannesburg, where he is clearly the only honest politician in the country. Both Paul and Lionel suffered extremely serious health issues some years back. However, because they are superb fighters, men of courage, Paul is a winner and Lionel climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, a few years after his severe illness. 

What does this all mean? Simple. When I’m faced with a struggle such as today, I only have to think of Paul and Lionel to realize how fortunate I am. I then cease whining, dry the tears, pick up my feet and try to emulate their strength and courage. 

With regard to Gail and Mannie, I have discussed this before, but it’s well worth repeating. Jen and I were in conversation with Mannie when I happened to mention a challenge I was facing. He asked me what I intended to do about it. I said I would try to succeed. He looked at me rather strangely and replied ‘try? What’s try?’ 
“Well,” I said at the time, “I’ll try to do my best.” 
To which he responded, ‘Jeffrey, I don’t want to hear that you’ll try. Either you’re going to do it or not.”

Today’s hike, with Jen having two ailments including a strained back, I thought I might just do the first part of the hike and cut across the mountains, returning on the other side with Jen without reaching the peak. Maybe I should try to reach the peak. Then I thought of Mannie. Even though he's no longer here, it does not mean I don't hear him. You got it. 

Thanks, fellas, everyone needs role models.


 Hard to even think of comparing today's view with the previous observations. (Note most of the top covered in snow. However, the hike was nothing short of spectacular.
A favorite.

A large and sprawling city...and...most attractive 3,300 feet below.
Partway down. The I-80, a freeway crossing the United States in the north, converges on the I-215. For the record, we do not purport to announce traffic flows.
This photograph and the one below, are almost identical, save for the coloring. A matter of a month. 
  Try trace the lines of the mountains and then compare. Found it fascinating.
Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

Ten years old, made it to and from the peak. Don't see many like this well-behaved and modest, Elijah. The kid'll go...um...high.
I think it was a good effort because I did not have my toes with me.

No comments: