LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Sunday, July 17, 2022

50.02 France: Some of the animals of the French Pyrenees and a brief pictorial introduction to this incredible region.

We reach our destination at 2,300 feet, after 2 hours. As this stage, Jen comments, "Through the camera lens, I had difficulty distinguishing between the two subjects." 'I don't believe you said that.' She seemed to believe the animal and me shared many similarities. It might be true, I thought, but nevertheless most hurtful. When I confronted Jenni about my hurt feelings, not only had she a comment but in fact, two. "Firstly," she defended herself, "They say the camera never lies." Yikes! Then she followed up with a retort she thought would provide some comfort. "Be thankful it's not a horse." Merci or should that be mercy.
Should that be insufficient, she felt compelled to add, "And don't be so sensitive. Imagine what the cow would think had she understood what I said." Heck! Do I have compelling grounds for my despair? Anyway, as a source of comfort, I topped up my container of yoghurt from the closest available teat. It was some form of consolation although too warm. 


Then she hit me with a clincher on the Cirque Troumouse extravaganza, as far as hiking goes. "It may not be similarities limited to cows."
Lessons learned. I don't think I'm going to sit down for brunch any longer—it's too dangerous. 


We come across llama in the early stages of the climb to Pic du Midi, a trip highlight.
C'mon guys, it's 10:30am, it's so unlike you to take a break from grazing.
The sheep form a huddle before making the next move, as we approach. One can only imagine what that movement might be, having climbed from the 'bowels of the Earth'.
I once smiled when a cow butted Jenni in Nepal. On this hike, I approached one of the beasts in a very friendly manner. It came towards me and I thought it wanted a stroke on the head. Instead, it charged. Quite an experience. I don't think I had a good day although I loved the hiking adventure.
Jen has developed a certain comfort, a tranquility, being at one with the land and towns, in this part of France. Oui! It's fascinating.
Our final destination is above and to the left of the falls.
Viewed from a peak: The world looks at peace.
From a peak, we look upon the town of Cauterets.
Following a fairly strenuous hike, we reach Lac Gloriettes.
About to reach Pic du Midi. We commenced from a position below the usual starting point. (Scroll down to next blog for an indication of this fabulous icon.)
Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: