LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

56:07 Arizona: Page: Beehive boulder hopping: "Cabbage in, Garbage out", a lesson in humility or constipation?

'Just call me angel of the morning'.
And 'He's the devil in disguise'...lose the hat, son.

  I think that by the time a human reaches 3 score plus ten, the person has, or at least, should have realized his/her potential. Expressed differently, by that stage of life, one should know of one's strengths and I suppose, weaknesses. In order to keep the text brief, I'm going to deal with all my strengths, both of them. 

  I understand it's immodest to create a forum and then espouse all one's attributes. It does smack of arrogance, I suppose, but after all it was attributed to Moses: "I am the most humble man that ever lived." Having cleared the air, let me begin. 

  When we commenced 'Hike-about', Jenni gave me lessons on the finer points of the weekly shop for supplies. While I obviously had a reasonable ability to identify, choose and pay for goods, I did not have a natural aptitude for selection of fruit and vegetables. I failed to concentrate on identifying the freshest or the right balance between quantity/quality of vegetables. Jenni took me under her wing and with a fine tuning of stroking, encouragement and knowledge, I advanced. So much so, that often I was left to select cabbages or lettuces, within 3 months of my first lesson, on my own. I'll never forget how proud I felt...(continues below)

  While we enjoy mountain climbing and hiking, boulders are our 'weakness'. Love them...in a manner of speaking.
Some are inclined to take an premature reward following a successful climb.
While others are outshone constantly by a nimble wife.
Of course, someone will point out the concept of 'photoshop' to us. We wonder why.
Another perspective of 'Castle Rock'.
Frankly, we found this view so different and...stunning. The water flows through the narrow crevice in front.
After a cross-country walk, Honey and I face the 'beehive'. Our car sits to the left and below the target.

One of the many tributaries of Lake Powell.
Facing that dam wall of Glen Canyon and the bridge over the Colorado River.
Jen returns to the 'Wave' formation.
He calls for a halt—brunch is served in a wonderful position sans table and chairs.

  Soon thereafter,
how proud I felt to be in charge of selecting, bagging and p!acing in the cart the said cabbages, bananas, cucumbers and a host of other produce. There were days when we reached peaks after much struggle and as I sat and gazed down at valleys and lakes below, I let my mind wonder about the vegetables I would be selecting once we returned to the trailhead, our car and then to the store. Does life get better? 

  When I awoke last Saturday, after a full week of hiking, my mind was occupied with a rather upsetting incident that occurred at Walmart in Page. Fortunately, nobody fired any rounds of ammunition at us. The good news is that had the shooting occurred, the shooter obviously missed. In fact, it was the day after a US federal guard had stopped us on our return from a hike along the Colorado River. We were getting used to guns pointing at us. 

  Back to waking last Saturday. On our last shop in Page, I had selected with deliberation a large cabbage, and bagged it. Should we be in a remote area, then I know I should choose 2 large cabbages. In the normal course, a single large one is acceptable and even a smaller size, should we live close to a store. 

  Could you imagine how insulted and hurt I was, after more than 12 years on the job, when the boss looked at the cabbage, then up into my face and exclaimed, "The cabbage is not dense enough." 

  Talk of dense. I have always looked for the solid looking pieces. The audacity to think I would've overlooked such a vital point. I held myself back and in a manner that took enormous self control, placed the cabbage back on the shelf. I cooled off, calmed down and made a fresh selection. That I did not comment further on the concept of 'dense' I believe is one of my great accomplishments. 

  The second attribute I have developed deals with an adeptness with laundry. I run a tight ship, a rather clean one. In 1998, I took over the function of chief launderer in the family. I proved to be so competent that no family member even attempted to usurp the function from me. You should know that makes me feel extremely proud, worthy and that I am making a contribution to the world. Okay, the latter may be stretching it...but only a bit. 

  Within this function, I have specialized further. I introduced an anti-racist policy when I discovered how I could easily offend people. Jenni had always told me to separate colors from whites. Initially, I did just that. However, as the world has become more dumb, excuse me, I mean sensitive, I threw all the clothes into one melting pot, hoping the temperature would never be too hot. I consider this nothing short of brilliant, Besides, it cut down on the number of loads I needed to undertake which of course means I'm also saving the world. Less loads, less water, less electricity and ever-changing colors of our clothes. Jenni loves the idea of buying one outfit and finding it has potential to change shades. She never wears the same outfit twice. Talking of satisfying your woman, fellas. 

  Perhaps my greatest strength is the ability to always undertake a full load. When I find there's less than a load to be washed, I'm able to find clothing, hiking jackets, rags, neighbors dirty washing to complete the load. 

  Other than that, I can't think of much else in which I excel in life. Then again, does a person need more than that to be considered a great success? 

 Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

Well red. 
  Later that evening...nature spoils us, yet again. The Colorado River back-wall is visible beyond the building but not the water.

Next stop: Tonto National Basin, what a place.

No comments: