LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT

San Ramon: At first, I thought it needed explanation. Not true. Top Left: "You're kidding me. After hiking 4 miles from the base below, you still want to climb up there...and snakes...?" The stance revealed it all. The rest is self-explanatory, too. (Not part of the formal trail either).

'LAZAROW WORLD HIKE-ABOUT: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HIKE-ABOUT?'

Hike-about is an adventure that commenced June 2010. After storing our household movables, ridding ourselves of a house but retaining our 'home' together, we set off with the purpose of hiking in different parts of the world, not forgetting the home country, the USA.

Our primary focus is hiking to mountain peaks but any challenging hike will do just fine. Extended stays enable us to enjoy and experience living in various places amongst differing cultures. Hike-about has evolved into a way of life. It's also a process of discovery, both the world and ourselves.

We work and live 'on the road' but return to the city in which our grandchildren reside, every couple of months. This provides us the wonderful opportunity to be with them as well as a child or two, even three and of course, friends.

By the end of 2023, the blog contained over 1,560 hikes (less than that actually undertaken), each a set of pictures with stories and anecdotes from the trails. An index to the right allows the viewer to identify earlier experiences.

Finally, we are often asked about the journey's end.
O
ur reply, as accurate as we can state, is: "When we are either forced to cease through health issues or the enjoyment level no longer reaches our aspirations, we will hang up the boots."

"A Life Experience As No Other: Dare to Seize the Day Together", published by Fulton Books, depicts our life on the road and mountains until the beginning of 2017. It has developed 'exponentially' since then.

Jenni and Jeffrey Lazarow

Whereas we continue to update the blog regularly, we circulate email notifications infrequently.

Thursday, December 8, 2022

56.13 A Handful of Extraordinary Scenes at Tonto Basin: When clouds don't get in the way.


In 2016, we completed a book based upon some of our experiences of Hike-about, the previous 6 years. Since then, much has occurred and perhaps we have matured. Should that be the case, then it’s a pity. After all, seeing and experiencing the world through the eyes of a child, okay, maybe a young person, is likely to be less warped. A key issue of the publication was the concept of passion and purpose. Effectively, when a person discovers his/her passion, that person has found purpose...continues below.

'The final curtain'.

Reaching above the clouds. A familiar refrain: "Jeffrey, get your head out of the clouds."

Roosevelt Lake partly covered. 
'Baby, you can light my fire'...and while you're at it, please pass my slippers.
Clouds dance for joy. 'Look at the lake below,' they exclaim.
Heavy clouds above, not captured in the picture, allow light through a gap, to reflect. This epitomizes Roosevelt Lake to us.
This is one incredible fence. It was installed to prevent overflows from the lake flooding the land. Today, we reached just under 3,000 feet above lake surface (further up from where Jen is) and saw no evidence that the lake has ever breached the fence. Science once again triumphs in this new world of 'smart alecks' (Alexis?).

  While some might say that hiking regularly is hardly the purpose of a person’s life, such person would be missing the point. It’s a whole different discussion that encompasses travel, adventure, discovery, cultural mixing and understanding, survival and may we say, much, much more. It also contains risks, many of those, fraught with an element of danger, at times. Most of all, it is filled with learning, excitement, and growth. To repeat, discovery is a vital element, both of the world and oneself. 

  Each day that we hit the slopes, or it seems wherever we are, we will see something new, different and unique. I often use the term miracle for what we are likely to experience. I remember when we commenced Hike-about, after a few hikes I thought about leaving the camera behind. After all, we had undertaken the hike before and so what could be different? Since then, I realized with a certainty that staggers me, that on each occasion in the wilderness, we are going to experience something new, something different and usually, a unique aspect of nature. In a way, it’s a blessing—actually, that’s exactly what it is. Of course, should we get lost, which happens from time, then it’s not a blessing but often the conclusion can be most uplifting, especially when a stranger performs an act of kindness. Then the world becomes an incredible place, if only for moments. 

  While on this trip, after visiting a couple of grandchildren, we commenced a 14-day stay in Page, Arizona. For 7 days I whined to Jenni that I did not want to depart from another of my favorite places. I have over 50 towns that are favorites, and that’s in my top-ten list. (Maybe you can now understand Jenni’s dilemma.) Fortunately, she’s used to my nonsense and so she deals with it comfortably. After leaving Page, kicking and screaming, we reached Tonto Basin, a stop that was not even on the agenda. (‘Hey, Tonto, I love you’.) I recommenced my whining. A stay that began as zero days, became 7-days, then fourteen and is now sixteen. Last year, a stay in Salt Lake City, scheduled for 9-days, became sixty-one in increments of 4-7 days. The point is that in most places we visit, one of us seems to feel that the place is his new home. Jenni feels positive most times but lacks the excess passion. (I’d always hoped that her excess passion was reserved for me…that’s my optimistic side.) One may think (and be correct) that she is better balanced. I used to think that way, too but today, I believe balance is overrated, unless you are an accountant. 

  I cannot express myself clearly, as I feel at times, overwhelmed. Make no mistake, living in this world is fraught with problems, challenges, bad days, tragedies, you name it. However, there is another side. By the way, I’m not naturally an optimist or pessimist. I tend to play it as I see it. However, while living on the road, enjoying and struggling on the mountains and other trails, meeting fascinating people, observing unique and incredible sights, I would not be exaggerating when I say I (we) have had and do enjoy a taste of Heaven and continue to lap it up regularly. (Of course, I’ve not experienced the real thing, but I’ll take what we have had thus far.) 

  I would also add, for I’m a realist (when not chasing dreams), I understand at the blink of an eye, it could all be taken away from us. In the meantime, we count our blessings and feel grateful and fortunate. (B’H) We also remember the late Mannie Edelstein who tried hard to teach us the concept of ‘Carpe Diem’. Thank you, Gail and Mannie

 It's not surprising that a person is mesmerized, Tonto. The beginning of the steep hike. 
A new position: Our landlord takes us for a 'ride'.

Cheers, 

Jenni and Jeffrey

No comments: